Welcome to the
Planning & Zoning Commission
Ron Walker- Chairman
Scooter (Mike) Posneski
The Planning & Zoning Commission is tasked with the oversight of construction and development within the city limits. The commission consists of five members, each appointed for a five-year term by the Mayor and confirmed by the Common Council. A chairperson, vice chairperson, secretary, and treasurer are selected annually. Commission members must be residents of the City of Hill City.
If you are interested in serving on the Planning & Zoning Commission, please Contact City Hall.
The objective of the Hill City Planning & Zoning Commission is to provide quality planning, zoning, and building services to all citizens in a professional and efficient manner. The commission is responsible for the regulation of construction and zoning within Hill City. This includes processing plat requests, zoning, new building construction, code enforcement, flood plain administration, and signage.
Planning & Zoning Commission - Agendas & Minutes
The Planning & Zoning Commission meets twice a month—year-round—on the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month. In case of a Monday holiday, meetings are moved to Tuesday. All Planning & Zoning Commission meetings are held at:
City Hall | 243 Deerfield Road | Hill City, SD 57745
Community Development departmental staff works closely with the Planning & Zoning Commission and Hill City Common Council to set policies and regulations for all development within the city limits.
City Programs & Services
Much of what is accomplished by these entities has a direct effect on the lives of the citizens of Hill City; not only for today, but for years to come. Whether it’s a question of current land use, future street systems, adequate storm drainage, etc., all is accomplished through City programs and services:
Planning and Zoning
- Professional assistance is provided to the Planning Commission and City Council.
- Subdivision plats and plans are reviewed.
- Land use classification changes and zoning ordinance regulations are administered.
- Zoning code enforcement is performed.
- Comprehensive Plan is maintained and updated in conjunction with the Planning & Zoning Commission.
- Building Permits are issued for residential, commercial and industrial projects.
- All necessary inspections are made for site location, footings, flooring, and structural components.
- Floodplain Development is administered by Community Planning
The Code Enforcement Program
- All building and safety codes are enforced under the International Code Councils 2006 International Building Codes (IBC).
- City Ordinances pertaining to all aspects of City Government are enforced by the inspections section.